|To Be or Not to Be (Part 1)|
|Season 6, Episode 1|
|Air Date||September 23, 1994|
|Next||To Be or Not to Be (Part 2)|
To Be or Not to Be (Part 1) is the first episode of season six from the television sitcom on Family Matters. This show was originally aired from ABC on September 23, 1994. It was directed by John Tracy and written by Jim Geoghan.
Harriette asks Carl to go see an eye doctor after he complains about having problems seeing. However, he balks at the idea and takes Eddie's advice by asking Urkel for some help. Urkel, meanwhile, has been perfecting his machine to enable him to be Stefan all the time. Carl asks Stefan to let him step into the transformation chamber to fix his eyesight problems. However, a jealous Myra – wanting to snare herself a certain nerd – tampers with the machine by switching the dial thinking Stefan will use it to change back into Steve. Unbeknownst to her, Carl is really inside and once she learns the truth, she tells Stefan to stop the chamber. Sure enough, the chamber is broken and Myra realizes what she has done when Carl Urkel (instead of Carl Winslow) steps out!
Myra doesn't want Steve to change a thing about himself, while Laura sees Stefan as a perfect 10 in her eyes. Urkel tweaks his chamber to allow himself to be Stefan all the time, much to Myra's chagrin. Meanwhile, Carl is complaining about his dwindling eye sight since he's getting old. However, he balks at Harriette's recommendation to just go to the optometrist and get his eyes checked for glasses. One night, Eddie suggests that he asks Stefan to use the transformation chamber. When Carl asks why, Eddie reveals that Stefan has perfect vision, but Steve couldn't see without glasses. He takes Eddie's advice and asks Stefan to let him use his chamber to fix his eye sight.
However, Myra misses her perfect Steve and decisively tampers with the chamber as revenge against Laura for her misery. Resetting the chamber from suave to nerd, believing that Stefan will use it to return to Urkel and ensnare him. Unfortunately, she overhears Carl thanking Stefan in using his chamber, which worries her. Once Carl is in the chamber, Myra quickly tells Stefan to stop the machine because she tampered with it. When Stefan asks her why, Myra revealed she rewired the transformation chamber and it was reset to Nerd, rather than cool. He tries to stop it and it circuits short fuse soon after. After Stefan opens the door, Myra realizes what she has done when Carl Urkel (instead of Carl Winslow) steps out of the chamber.
Adopting a nerd personality, Carl comes out as in a stereotypical nerd fashion, hitched up underwear, pocket protector, sagging pants and suspenders. Stefan asked Carl if he's still there. Carl Urkel hopes so and attempts to pull his pants up, but gives himself a wedgie. He laughs and snorts while Stefan is embarrassed and Myra is horrified by what she did to Carl.
Cast and Characters Edit
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow / Carl Urkel (debut/cameo)
- Jo Marie Payton-Noble as Harriette Winslow
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Bryton McClure as Richie Crawford
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel / Stefan Urquelle
- Shawn Harrison as Waldo Geraldo Faldo
- Michelle Thomas as Myra Monkhouse
- Lisa Ann Grant as Photographer (as Lisa Grant)
- Victor Wilson as Waiter
- This is the first two-part episode of the series.
- This is also the first episode where Myra (Michelle Thomas) is credited in the opening credits.
- This is the first time that the Transformation Chamber was tampered with adverse results. In Myra's case, she tampered with it assuming that Stefan will use it to return to being Steve and ensnare him. She didn't realize that Carl was inside and saw what she did to him when Carl Urkel steps out of the busted chamber. Laura would become the 2nd one to tamper with the Chamber in We're Going To Disney World, however for her own selfish purposes. She would see the error of her ways when she saw how depressed Myra really is in missing Steve.
- Carl (Winslow): By the way, thanks for letting me use your chamber, Stefan
- Stefan: It's not just a transformation chamber. It's a cool chamber.
- [Carl steps in the chamber and Stefan starts it up]
- Myra: No, Mr. Winslow, don't.
- Stefan: Myra, what is it?
- Myra: I tinkered with your...
- Stefan: What did you do?
- Myra: I rearranged the chamber. Instead of cool, it was set on Nerd.
- [Stefan tries to stop the chamber and the chamber ends up being busted. When the door opens Carl appears dessed up as Steve normally dresses with his glasses]
- Carl (Urkel): Hi diddeley dee, it's me.
- Stefan: Carl, is that you?
- Carl (Urkel): I sure hope so because I'm wearing his underwear.
- [pulls his underwear too high]
- Carl (Urkel): Oops, I gave myself a wedgie.
- [laughs and snorts]