|Fa La La La Laagghh!|
|Season 7, Episode 11|
|Air Date||December 15, 1995|
|Previous||Best Years of Our Lives|
Fa La La La Laagghh! is episode eleven of season seven from the television sitcom on Family Matters. This show was originally aired from ABC on December 15, 1995. It was directed by Richard Correll and written by Meg DeLoatch.
Just in time for Christmas, Carl gets in a sour mood and refuses to allow Urkel to decorate the house with his crazy light displays. Then, at his poker game, one of his friends says there is a big cash prize for the neighborhood lighting contest, and Carl's mood instantly changes, which Urkel has no idea about. Soon he learns the truth and sets Carl straight for lying to him. Meanwhile, Harriette wants a little more participation from Eddie and Laura in the family's holiday activities. Mother Winslow teaches them the true meaning of Christmas when she stops making her batch of gingerbread cookies.
Carl's "Bah Humbug" attitude to put up any decorations outside his home, stemmed from last year when everyone in his neighborhood laughed at him for his Nativity Scene display, while they praised Urkel's Santa Claus is Coming To Town display. When one of his poker buddies mentions there are prizes involved, he enlists the help of Steve while keeping him unaware that he had entered the contest himself.
Eddie and Laura decides that they're too busy with their social lives to help Harriette decorate the tree, which was always a family tradition. This disheartens their mother as she's forced to put up the tree by herself and angers their grandmother, Estelle.
On top of the Winslow Roof, Steve's Santa Claus and Elf goes out of control, causing the men to pose as them coming to town in costume. The truth is revealed by Carl that he entered the contest to win the prize money. The roof gives way and both Steve and him falls through the roof.
Meanwhile, Mother Winslow decides to teach Eddie and Laura a lesson for refusing to participate in any Holiday activities with Harriette by not making her special gingerbread cookies. Eddie asks her for her cookies, which she tells them she won't make them this year because of their actions got her thinking they're too old for that stuff. He tells her they were waiting for that for a long time. Laura tells Mother Winslow that their mother did a good job on the tree by herself, which their grandmother snaps. Estelle tells them that is exactly what it was and their selfishness got them what they deserved. She also mentions that had they helped Harriette with the decorations, it would've been Christmas. Immediately, they sees the error of their ways and decides to help their mother out with the decorations.
In the Kitchen, an angry Urkel sets Carl straight by telling him that he besmirched Christmas for wanting to win the prize money rather than making kids happy. He tells him that he only cared about having more money and calls him a greedy grinch as a result. Carl sees the error of his ways and apologizes for his selfishness in lying to him about the whole contest. Steve tells him to repair the roof and make the Christmas spectacular.
Cast and Characters Edit
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow
- Rosetta LeNoire as Rosetta LeNoire
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Bryton McClure as Richie Crawford (non-appearance)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Shawn Harrison as Waldo Geraldo Faldo (non-appearance)
- This is the last episode to include the theme song, after which the names of the show's cast and producers are shown during the teaser scene at the beginning of the show.
- This is the 2nd time that Urkel set Carl straight. The first time was in Number One With a Bullet
- Carl: You're upset with me aren't you?
- Steve: Of Course I Am. You besmirched Christmas! You tried to deck your halls with wads of dollars. It's bad enough it was out of greed, but what even worse is that you lied to me. You told me you cared about Christmas and little kids and making them happy. But you didn't care about all those things, you only wanted money!!