Boxcar Blues is the sixth episode of the second season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on October 19, 1990. It was directed by Mark Linn-Baker and written by Fred Fox Jr.
Carl has assigned Urkel as part of a police ride-along program. While staking out a wanted suspect in a railroad stockyard, Carl and Steve accidentally wind up locked in a livestock rail car. Eddie — who earlier rejected Carl's offer to participate in the ride-along program — tries to get a modeling career, but is soundly rejected.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow (credited as Jo Marie Payton-France)
- Rosetta LeNoire as Laura Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Jaimee Foxworth as Judy Winslow
- Bryton James as Richie Crawford (credited as Bryton McClure)
- Jaleel White as Steve Urkel
- Telma Hopkins as Rachel Crawford
- Barry Jenner's first appearance as Lt. Murtaugh in this episode.
- This is the 2nd episode that Carl tried to force his dreams on Eddie.
- This episode the first time Eddie reexamined his future after being rejected from a modeling company. His 2nd time was in The Way the Ball Bounces, when a former player named Sam warned Eddie about the pitfalls of putting a basketball career over education
- During dinner, a bottle of steak sauce moves around between shots.
- The exterior shot of the cattle car (an obvious model) does not match interior shots. There is no lantern light visible from the outside; the door has vertical slats outside and horizontal inside; the side slats are open all the way down outside while the bottom half are sealed off inside.
- Carl: I needed a good laugh.
- Urkel: You know, every time you laugh you burn off three and a half calories?
- Carl: Maybe I should laugh a little bit more, huh?