Basketball Blues is the sixth episode of the first season in this television sitcom on Family Matters, which was aired from ABC on November 3, 1989. It was directed by James O'Keefe and written by Barry Gold.
Carl wants Eddie to be a star basketball player, even if Eddie doesn't want to play basketball at this time. Carl's efforts to get Eddie psyched up for a career in professional basketball are affected by a visit from basketball star Will "The Thrill" Morgan, and it turns out that Carl is trying to accomplish -- through Eddie -- his own dream of being a basketball star. Harriette had invited Will for a visit to set Carl straight, and get him to let Eddie live his own dreams. Meanwhile, Rachel tries her hand at being a cook.
Carl wants Eddie to be a star basketball player, even if Eddie doesn't want to play basketball at this time. Despite Harriette's admonition in letting him live out his own dreams, Carl pushes Eddie to the point of quitting.
Meanwhile, Rachel tries her hand at being a chef but soon finds she is not cut out for being a chef. Especially when the rest of the Winslows grow tired of trying a disaster of a quiche. Harriette convinces Rachel to do what she does best, writing novels and that they will support her.
Carl invites Will "The Thrill" Morgan to try and motivate Eddie's interest in basketball. However, he presumably sees past Carl's attempt and talks to Eddie instead. Asking him what he wants to do with himself, Eddie admits that he doesn't know and that he just wants to enjoy high school with his friends. Will understands his plight and encourages him to go his own path. When Eddie reveals he is happy to follow Will's advice in following his own dreams, Carl is crushed.
At the school's gymnasium, Harriette spies Carl trying to shoot hoop and misses. She picks up the basketball and he admits he is disappointed in how things turned out. While sympathetic, Harriette admonishes Carl in pushing Eddie too hard and not letting him live own dreams. When he tries to defend himself, she tells Carl off that she got concerned that he was forcing his own dreams of being a professional basketball player through Eddie. She tried to talk some sense into him but Carl refused to see reason. Harriette reveals she had talked to Will at her place of work in secret and invited him over before Carl did. She needed his help to teach Carl a lesson in forcing his own dreams on Eddie is wrong. Will agreed to Harriette's plan to help teach him a lesson. Only then, Carl finally realizes how much he has hurt Eddie and needs to apologize.
After coming home, he decides it's best to let Eddie live his own dreams and not force him in something the he doesn't want. He apologizes for his behavior and admitted he wanted Eddie to fulfill the dreams Carl had planned for him. Eddie promises him to try out next year, providing that Carl eases up on him and he agrees. Carl asks Eddie what he wants to do with his life and he admits he's not sure yet. He just wants to enjoy high school with his friends the best he can.
- Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow
- Jo Marie Payton as Harriette Winslow (credited as Jo Marie Payton-France)
- Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow
- Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow
- Kellie Shanygne Williams as Laura Winslow
- Jaimee Foxworth as Judy Winslow
- Joseph and Julius Wright as Richie Crawford
- Telma Hopkins as Rachel Crawford
- Jacques Apollo Bolton as Will Morgan
- The is the only time Eddie showed a lack of interest in playing basketball. In the later seasons, Eddie's interest in playing basketball grew and had dreams of being a basketball player until Season 9 when he discovered his true dreams in following in Carl's footsteps as a police officer.
- This episode marked the first time Carl tried to force his own dreams on Eddie. The next time he did was back in Boxcar Blues, which Eddie flat out refuses and leading Carl to take Urkel out on his job.
|Family Matters Season 1|